Data Protection Act 1998: How we use pupil information
We collect and hold personal information relating to our pupils and may also receive information about them from their previous school, local authority and/or the Department for Education (DfE). We use this personal data to:
- Support our pupils’ learning
- Monitor and report on their progress
- Provide appropriate pastoral care; and
- Assess the quality of our services
- Protect public monies against fraud
This information will include their contact details, national curriculum assessment results, attendance information, any exclusion information, where they go after they leave us and personal characteristics such as their ethnic group, any special educational needs they may have as well as relevant medical information. For pupils enrolling for post 14 qualifications, the Learning Records Service will give us the unique learner number (ULN) and may also give us details about your learning or qualifications.
A parent/guardian can request that only their child’s name, address and date of birth be passed to Derbyshire County Council by informing Mrs L Pickering. This right is transferred to the child once he/she reaches the age 16. For more information about services for young people, please go to our local authority website http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/.
To ensure your son or daughter’s information is kept safe we have the following controls/limitations in place:
- The information will not be used for any purpose other than those stated in this notice
- The information will be held within secure systems/locations, with appropriate levels of security, that comply with relevant data protection legislation
- The information will only be shared for lawful purposes and with an appropriate level of security that complies with relevant data protection legislation
- The information will only be held for the periods agreed in our school’s Record Retention Policy and Schedule, after which it will be destroyed.
A copy of the school’s Record Retention and Schedule can be obtained from Mrs L Pickering:
- The information will be held, used and shared in accordance with Data Protection Act 1998 legislation and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which comes into force on 25 May 2018.
We will not give information about our pupils to anyone without your consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so. When you give your consent for your son or daughter’s information to be held and/or shared for any purpose you can withdraw that consent at any time by contacting:
- Mrs L Pickering
You can also contact the person named above if you wish to:
- Access any records we hold about your son or daughter
- Have any information we hold about your son or daughter corrected
- Have any information we hold about your son or daughter erased
- Restrict how information we hold about your son or daughter can be used or shared
- Object to information about your son or daughter being held
- Have any information we hold about your son or daughter transferred to a third party
- Challenge decisions relating to your son or daughter made using automated decision making and profiling
We are required, by law, to pass certain information about our pupils to our local authority (LA) and the Department for Education (DfE).
DfE may also share pupil level personal data that we supply to them, with third parties. This will only take place where legislation allows it to do so and it is in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Decisions on whether DfE releases this personal data to third parties are subject to a robust approval process and are based on a detailed assessment of who is requesting the data, the purpose for which it is required, the level and sensitivity of data requested and the arrangements in place to store and handle the data. To be granted access to pupil level data, requests must comply with strict terms and conditions covering the confidentiality and handling of data, security arrangements and retention and use of the data.
If you need more information about how our local authority and/or DfE collect and use your information, please visit:
If you are unable to access these websites, please contact:
For Derbyshire County Council:
Information Governance Officer
Children’s Services Department, Derbyshire County Council
Telephone: 01629 532011
Public Communications Unit,
Department for Education,
Great Smith Street,
London, SW1P 3BT
Telephone: 0370 000 2288
Should you have any concerns or complaints relating to your son or daughter about how we, as a school, obtain, use, store or share their personal data please contact:
- Mrs L Pickering
If however you are dissatisfied with our response to your concerns you can of course contact the:
Information Commissioners Office
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number
Fax: 01625 524 510
* The Information Commissioners Office deals with concerns and complaints relating to data protection and freedom of information legislation.*