SEN Information Report


Welcome to our SEN Information Report for parents. The aim of this report is to provide parents with information about the new code of practice and how the school supports children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at Corfield Church of England Infant School is Mrs K. McKinley. She can be contacted by telephoning the school office on 01773 823319 or email

The SENCO has the day-to-day responsibility for the operation of SEN policy and co-ordinating the specific provision made to support individual pupils with SEN, including those who have EHC plans, working closely with staff, parents and carers, and other agencies.

The SENCO provides professional guidance to colleagues with the aim of securing high quality teaching for pupils with SEN, and works closely with staff, parents and other agencies. The SENCO works with professionals providing a support role to families to ensure that pupils with SEN receive appropriate support and high quality teaching.

The SENCO plays an important role with the staff and governing body in determining the strategic development of SEN policy and provision in the school in order to raise the achievement of pupils with SEN.

Mrs Z Humphrey is the current Governor with responsibility for SEND at Corfield. She has regular contact with the SENCO and the staff of the school to keep up-to-date with, and monitor the school’s SEND provision.

From the 1st September 2014 The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2014 0-25 is legally required to be implemented in all schools. It provides the school with guidance that helps us to identify, assess and provide support for pupils with special educational needs. It sets out the processes and procedures we should follow to meet the needs of pupils. Copy on the link below to access the full publication.

As part of the new code of practice each Local Authority is required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the pupils and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

Principles underlying the Code

The SEND Code of Practice describes the principles that should be observed by all professionals working with pupils and young people who have SEN or disabilities. These include

 taking into account the view of pupils, young people and their families

 enabling pupils, young people and their parents to participate in decision-making

 collaborating with partners in education, health and social care to provide support

 identifying the needs of pupils and young people

 making high quality provision to meet the needs of pupils and young people

 focusing on inclusive practices and removing barriers to learning

 helping pupils and young people to prepare for adulthood

What are special educational needs (SEN)?

The term ‘special educational needs’ has a legal definition. ‘Pupils with SEN all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most pupils of the same age. These pupils may need extra or different help from that given to other pupils of the same age.’ 

SEND could mean that a pupil has difficulties with:

all of the work in school

 reading, writing, number work or understanding information

 expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying

 making friends or relating to adults

 behaving properly in school

 organising themselves; or

 some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school.

Corfield Church of England Infant School is an inclusive school where all pupils, regardless of their specific needs are given the opportunity to make the best possible progress. The SEN code of practice categorises Special Educational Needs and Disabilities into four broad ‘areas of need’. These being:

 Communication and Interaction

 Cognition and Learning

 Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

 Sensory and Physical Needs.

Parents – what to do if you have concerns/worries

If you think your child may have a special educational need that has not been identified, you should talk to your child’s class teacher who will then consult the SENCO,

You will be able to talk over your concerns and find out what the school thinks. The SENCO will be able to explain what happens next.

Working together with your Child’s teachers will often help to sort out worries and problems. The closer you work with your child’s teachers, the more successful any help for your pupil can be. 

You might like to ask if:

•the school thinks your child has difficulties;

•the school thinks your child has special educational needs;

•your child is able to work at the same level as other childs of a similar age;

•your child is already getting some extra help; and

•how you can help your child.

We will consult parents about all the decisions that affect their child. If you, as a parent have concerns or worries at any time, you should share them with your child’s teacher, a teaching assistant or the SENCO.

Parents will be made fully aware of the planned support and interventions and, where appropriate. They will also be involved in reviews of support provided to their pupil and have clear information about the impact of the support and interventions, enabling them to be involved in planning next steps.

If you want to talk to someone who is independent and knows about special educational needs, you can get advice from the local Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Services (DIASS) for SEND

How do we identify and support pupils with SEN?

At Corfield Church of England Infant School we identify pupils with SEN as early as possible, through the observations and assessments made by the staff in Reception class. Then throughout school, by monitoring and tracking the progress of all pupils by an ongoing process of planning, teaching, assessing and reviewing. Pupils with SEND may be identified at any stage of this process during their school life.

Where a pupil is identified as having SEN, we take action to remove barriers to learning and put effective special educational provision in place. This SEN support takes the form of a four-part cycle (assess, plan, do, review) through which earlier decisions and actions are revisited, refined and revised with a growing understanding of the pupil’s needs and of what supports the pupil in making good progress and securing good outcomes. This is known as the graduated approach. It draws on more detailed approaches, more frequent review and more specialist expertise in successive cycles in order to match interventions to the SEN of pupils and young people.

Slow progress and low attainment do not necessarily mean that a pupil has SEN and should not automatically lead to a pupil being recorded as having SEN. However, they may be an indicator of a range of learning difficulties or disabilities. Equally, it should not be assumed that attainment in line with chronological age means that there is no learning difficulty or disability. For example, some pupils and young people may be high achieving academically, but may require additional support in communicating and interacting socially. Some learning difficulties and disabilities occur across the range of cognitive ability and, left unaddressed, may lead to frustration, which may manifest itself as disaffection, emotional or behavioural difficulties.

Involving specialists

Where a pupil continues to make less than expected progress, despite support and interventions that are matched to the pupil’s areas of need, we will consider involving specialists. This could include, for example, speech and language therapists, specialist teachers for the hearing or vision impaired, support from Autism Outreach. Parents will always be involved in any decision to involve specialists. The involvement of specialists and what was discussed or agreed is recorded and shared with parents and teaching staff supporting the pupil in the same way as other SEN support.

Requesting an Education, Health and Care needs assessment

Where, despite the school having taken relevant and purposeful action to identify, assess and meet the SEN of the pupil or young person, the pupil or young person has not made expected progress, the school or parents should consider requesting an Education, Health and Care needs assessment. To inform its decision the local authority will expect to see evidence of the action taken by the school as part of SEN support.

What agencies support the pupils with SEND in school?

Pupils in school are supported by a range of professionals provided by the Local Authority.

These services include -

Autism Outreach Service

Behaviour Support Service

Educational Psychology Service

Hearing Impaired Service

Visually impaired Service

Physical Impairment Service

SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

SSSEN teaching support for those with complex needs as identified on a statement or EHC plan.

How do we teach pupils with SEND?

All pupils including those with SEND will receive high quality teaching in the classroom which is differentiated and personalised to meet the needs of all pupils. A teaching assistant is based in each class every morning to support this high quality teaching as well as providing extra 1:1 and small group support for pupils with SEND where needed.

Some pupils will require provision that is different from or additional to that which other pupils receive. These pupils receive ‘SEN Support’. The arrangements for their provision is recorded on Education Health Care Plans, IEP’s and/or provision maps according to their level of need. These are working documents that are used to by the teachers and TA’s to inform planning and will be constantly reviewed.

Pupils with specific needs such as hearing and visual impairments, physical needs, speech, language and communication needs and those with emotional and behaviour difficulties may also receive specialist teaching from outside agencies.

How do we monitor and report the progress of pupils with SEND?

Pupils on the SEN register will usually have an IEP or be identified on the school’s provision map. The progress towards their targets will be monitored termly by the teacher and discussed with the parents and pupil (where appropriate).

Children with more complex needs that have gone through the statutory assessment process will have a an Education Care Plan. For these children an Annual Review of their targets will take place with the professionals involved.

How are staff trained to work with pupils with SEND?

The SENCO provides and organises support and training for teachers and TA’s. Outside agencies also provide some specific training opportunities. Several TA’s are also trained to deliver interventions and are very experienced and knowledgeable about certain special educational needs and how to support pupils with these.

How is the effectiveness of the provision for SEND evaluated?

The progress of pupils with SEND is monitored termly by class teacher and SENCO. IEP targets are also monitored termly and new targets set in conjunction with parents and the pupil. The effectiveness of interventions is monitored at the end of intervention. Decisions will then be made to assess whether the intervention should continue.

The headteacher/SENCO observes teaching of whole class lessons and intervention to ensure that the needs of pupils with SEND are being met.

A report to Governors about the effectiveness of the provision for SEND is written termly.

How are pupils with SEN included in all aspects of school life?

Pupils with SEN are taught alongside pupils without SEN as we believe that full inclusion is important and beneficial in terms of their social and emotional development. Pupils with SEND are provided with same opportunities and experiences as all of the other pupils in school.

How accessible is the school for children with disabilities?

Corfield Church of England Infant School has a duty under the Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001 Part 4 (SENDA) not to discriminate against a disabled child:

 in the arrangements that they make for determining admission of pupils

to the school.

 in the terms on which the responsible body offers pupils admission to the school

 by refusing or deliberately omitting to accept an application for admission to the

school from someone who is disabled.

(Disability Rights Commission: Code of Practice for Schools 2002)

In line with the 2002 SENDA and the 2006 DDA the Headteacher and governors of the school have put in place an Accessibility Plan.

Corfield Church of England Infant School has been adapted to ensure access for all. There is a disabled toilet which includes room for a height-adjustable changing bed.

How is transition managed for pupils with SEN?

Arrangements are made for pupils with SEND to ensure that transition phases are successful. Pupils may benefit from a transition book which shows them photographs of the new classroom, teacher and TA to help familiarise them with their new environment and adults.

What are the arrangements for handling complaints from parents of pupils with SEN about the provision made at the school?

In the first instance the parent should talk to the class teacher about the provision provided. The SENCO or headteacher should then be contacted if there are still concerns about the provision for the pupil. Most concerns will be resolved in this way. If parents still feel dissatisfied they may choose to raise their concerns with the school’s governor responsible for SEN.

More information about how pupils with SEN are supported at Corfield Infant School can be found in the SEN policy.